Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The "Knght" Skill

  1. #1

    The "Knght" Skill

    On page 35, if a lady marries an NPC husband/knight the hubsand gets a "Knight" skill which is used in place of the various knightly comnbat skills, such as sword, horsemanship and lance.

    The skill starts at the knight's age, with a modifier that is also based on age.

    Either I'm missing something or this vlaue is really messed up. For a starting age 21 knight the skill would start at 13, which is reasonable. But, by the time the character is 25 the modifier is +0, meaning the character now had a 25 rating in all his combat skills!

    Worse still, past the age of 30 the character gets a bonus to the Knight skill. A 65 year old knight would have a 75 knight skill!

    Please, somebody tell me I missed something somewhere.

  2. #2
    Husbands would be considered a "supporter": and thus, go by the rules for Improvement on pag 10. to recap:
    15 or less: +1 point per year up to 15
    16-20: roll 1d6: 1-5 = nothing, 6 = +1 point, up to 20
    20+: roll 1d20: 01-19 = no gain, 20 = +1 point.

    I find that only getting a 5% chance of improving once the skill gets to 20+ would remove the chance of having that high of a skill.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hzark10 View Post
    Husbands would be considered a "supporter": and thus, go by the rules for Improvement on pag 10. to recap:
    15 or less: +1 point per year up to 15
    16-20: roll 1d6: 1-5 = nothing, 6 = +1 point, up to 20
    20+: roll 1d20: 01-19 = no gain, 20 = +1 point.

    I find that only getting a 5% chance of improving once the skill gets to 20+ would remove the chance of having that high of a skill.
    Great. That makes a lot more sense. It's just the way the it's worded makes it look like a straight add. So basically past age 15 the points turn into skill checks. The 65 year old knight would get Knight 15, then would probably spend another 45 rolls or so getting to 20 and have another 35 chances to improve from there, and probably end up at around 22 (statistically). Much more reasonable than a 75. Thanks.


    Hey, by extension then does this mean that Squire skill no longer goes up a point a year but the squires have to roll?
    Last edited by Atgxtg; 12-17-2018 at 10:12 PM.

  4. #4
    That depends on your gm. Some prefer other Players to rp them, some have a squire pool, but they do get training. Once they reach 21, and they remain as squires, they become esquires and automatically start increasing their chance of leaving.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hzark10 View Post
    That depends on your gm. Some prefer other Players to rp them, some have a squire pool, but they do get training. Once they reach 21, and they remain as squires, they become esquires and automatically start increasing their chance of leaving.
    Well the way I used to run them was that the quire skill went up a point every year, until they hit 21, when I used to start rolling to see if/when they leave. Now it looks like they will be rolling to go up. BTW, rather than the 1 in 6 chance for 15-20, why not just have them roll over their ability on 1d20? The math is about the same in the long run, and the game mechanics would be simpler.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    Please, somebody tell me I missed something somewhere.
    Yes, you are missing something. You are not using the latest, Revised, version 1.3 of Entourage.

    The whole "Knight Skill" is gone. It was way overpowered, especially the way it was calculated.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    Well the way I used to run them was that the quire skill went up a point every year, until they hit 21, when I used to start rolling to see if/when they leave. Now it looks like they will be rolling to go up.
    "Squire skill" uses the same improvement rules now that everything else. Since the Squire skill now starts at 15 or less in all cases, there is no problem.

    BTW, rather than the 1 in 6 chance for 15-20, why not just have them roll over their ability on 1d20? The math is about the same in the long run, and the game mechanics would be simpler.
    Because:
    1. That is the way Greg made it.
    2. It nicely captures the higher probability that someone uses the Yearly Training +1 on a skill that is already at 18, compared to a skill at 15. At least that is my fudge factor. As for the lower chance of the skill rising from 15 to 16 and 16 to 17, I don't really care. Maybe the NPC didn't get a checkmark that year or something. :P

    But feel free to change it in your game, by all means!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •