Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron and Bronze Weapons

Val does go to North America in PPrince Valiant strip, and that Arthurian. So maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanwulf View Post
    Bronze Age America. Also: Michigan Copper in the Med. More is redundant to the limited point of the post.

Evidence points to basically everyone and their dog knowing NA was where it still is, and going over periodically. Columbus knew what he was doing and "looking for a way to India" was a pretext. Anyway, the Celtic theory is that the Romans destroyed their shipping during the Gallic wars.
    Just to clarify, I am not contesting the existence of ancient copper mining in Michigan (which very clearly did exist), but the Transatlantic trade with the Celts that was disrupted by the Romans around 50BC.

As for everyone and their dog knowing about North America, alas, that is not the mainstream view.

I did read through the link you provided, and I am not impressed. The main conclusion seems to be: 'No one knows for sure where the copper came from, therefore Michigan, therefore Transatlantic trade in the Bronze Age!'

Here is a link to a thesis "OXHIDE INGOTS, COPPER PRODUCTION, AND THE MEDITERRANEAN TRADE IN COPPER AND OTHER METALS IN THE BRONZE AGE":
    http://nautarch.tamu.edu/pdf-files/JonesM-MA2007.pdf

Here is another link debunking some of the wilder claims of pseudo-archaeologists regarding Michigan copper: http://www.ramtops.co.uk/copper.html

However, since this has very little to do with KAP, shall we agree to disagree?
    Last edited by Morien; 12-01-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    However, since this has very little to do with KAP, shall we agree to disagree?
    I'm not going to die in any of these hills and they're not relevant to KAP. Point is that bronze by Arthur's day would be either very old, very odd (i.e. village-made armor from whatever reused metal was available), or very much out of Faerie.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanwulf View Post
    .... bronze by Arthur's day would be either very old, very odd (i.e. village-made armor from whatever reused metal was available), or very much out of Faerie.
    In my campaign, bronze weapons are the weapons of choice for faeries, and indeed the only sorts of weapons that can be carried into Faerie.
    “Only a fool wants war, but once a war starts then it cannot be fought half-heartedly. It cannot even be fought with regret, but must be waged with a savage joy in defeating the enemy, and it is that savage joy that inspires our bards to write their greatest songs about love and war.”

― Bernard Cornwell, Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    In my campaign, bronze weapons are the weapons of choice for faeries, and indeed the only sorts of weapons that can be carried into Faerie.

Just how does that play out?

Does the iron prevent the character from entering Faerie? Or does the iron just stay behind when the PK crosses over?

And...what about armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post

Does the iron prevent the character from entering Faerie? Or does the iron just stay behind when the PK crosses over?

And...what about armor?
    Well it's no fun to have your enchanted elf-gate dispelled by the first knight in armor trying to pass. So it should just not work for him. That said, silvered armor would go fine, because it's not just iron anymore.

If you need to invite the PKs to faerie, they could be told to leave their arms behind unless they bring the bronze that their forefathers carried in the days that the Fae were respected.

--Khanwulf

And...what about armor?
    Yes, in my campaign iron and steel weapons and armor are not permitted to cross into the realm of Faerie. My characters learned this as a bit of Faerie Lore and accepted it without question, so I never had to test the theory. There was a guardian in the Faerie hill, however, who seemed pretty small and harmless, but I reckon he would have revealed himself to be otherwise had the players tried to ignore the prohibition. But you could handle the manifestation of this law however you wished.

Luckily, the ancient burial mound which contained their Faerie gateway had some bodies with some bronze weapons that they were able to pick up and carry with them to the Otherside, without objection from the guardian, who just looked at them with a sly smile.

T.
    “Only a fool wants war, but once a war starts then it cannot be fought half-heartedly. It cannot even be fought with regret, but must be waged with a savage joy in defeating the enemy, and it is that savage joy that inspires our bards to write their greatest songs about love and war.”

― Bernard Cornwell, Excalibur

I was just thinking that if it prevented the PK from crossing over it would ruin a lot of adventure ideas. A PK could carry iron with him to avoid any possibly of crossing over by accident (and that's most Arthurian faerie stories).

Maybe better if the iron is somehow magically substituted with bronze or "faerie silver" (looks like steel, but clean and polished) when the PK crosses over. That way he can still get drawn into all those "knight wanders into faerie" adventures and won't notice anything amiss until it's too late.

I was just thinking that if it prevented the PK from crossing over it would ruin a lot of adventure ideas. A PK could carry iron with him to avoid any possibly of crossing over by accident (and that's most Arthurian faerie stories).
    Nah, I'd take another, and more humorous route! They embark, and simply arrive on the other side sans iron/steel.

Ride through, come out, no iron of any kind. Knights in doublets, with threws falling down (if they say they had an iron belt buckle), no weapons, perhaps falling off their horses if there was iron in the buckles for the saddle, or horses roaming if their tack was iron. Hilarity ensues!

THEN, you bring out the mischievous brownies and pixies.

SDLeary

Ah, so One-a-Day doesn't keep the redcaps away?

I just go with the iron doesn't bother them because it's not cold iron.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast