Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: The downfall of Ambrosius?

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by sirlarkins View Post
    SIRES is in final layout and proofing and will be available in PDF and hardcover POD formats (all going well) right before the year is out.
    Thanks David!

    It's much anticipated.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by sirlarkins View Post
    SIRES is in final layout and proofing and will be available in PDF and hardcover POD formats (all going well) right before the year is out.
    Hopefully in time for Christmas!

  3. #43
    Since this thread revolves around the dates given for Ambrosius in the game, more than around how long his reign is in the medieval chronicles and romances, shouldn't this be in the Great Pendragon Campaign forum?

  4. #44
    Perhaps, but the original question was regarding how literature portrayed Ambrosius Pendragon. His reign predates GPC, so I just answered questions and it went from there. Do you feel it should be in the GPC forum?

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Hzark10 View Post
    Perhaps, but the original question was regarding how literature portrayed Ambrosius Pendragon. His reign predates GPC, so I just answered questions and it went from there. Do you feel it should be in the GPC forum?
    Yes, my original question was an attempt to tease out the themes behind Ambrosius as he links to Uther and Arthur. Obviously this is complicated because Ambrosius Aurelius is the most defensible of the three in terms of historical weight.

    It got a bit off-track but not too far.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by merlyn View Post
    Since this thread revolves around the dates given for Ambrosius in the game, more than around how long his reign is in the medieval chronicles and romances, shouldn't this be in the Great Pendragon Campaign forum?
    Why? Aurelius is dead by the time of the GPC. Most, if not all, of these ideas involve things that take place before the GPC.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    Why? Aurelius is dead by the time of the GPC. Most, if not all, of these ideas involve things that take place before the GPC.
    I suspect that merlyn's point is that the discussion has drifted to GAME content (KAP, GPC, UTHER, SIRES), not the literary sources themselves (Gildas & HRB, mainly).

  8. #48
    Yes, that was my point; the center of the discussion (as I interpreted it) was why Ambrosius was childless, which is more of an issue in the Pendragon chronology (where he rules for several years) than in the implied timelines of the medieval works (where his reign is over quickly, and becomes increasingly little more than a bridge from Vortigern to Uther Pendragon - to the point where, by the Prose Merlin, he's largely an explanation for Uther's nickname - which allows him far less opportunity to wed and to beget heirs).

  9. #49
    I'm fine with the thread moving. But, I don't know how to do that. It also appears to be winding down until the release of Sires.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by merlyn View Post
    Yes, that was my point; the center of the discussion (as I interpreted it) was why Ambrosius was childless, which is more of an issue in the Pendragon chronology (where he rules for several years) than in the implied timelines of the medieval works (where his reign is over quickly, and becomes increasingly little more than a bridge from Vortigern to Uther Pendragon - to the point where, by the Prose Merlin, he's largely an explanation for Uther's nickname - which allows him far less opportunity to wed and to beget heirs).
    Back to sources, is there anything that states that his reign in over quickly? We get very little information on Aurelius other than what a great man, leader, general he was supposed to be, and who his father, brothers, and uncle were. Even his military campaigns are only covered from the time he lands in Britain to become High King. What information we get is obviously just what pertains to Britain.
    Last edited by Atgxtg; 11-27-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •