Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Directed Passions

I consider this area a YPMV area. Some gamemasters (and players) want the campaign to be high glory knights, where the PKs can rub elbows with Galahad, Lancelot, King Arthur, are a Round Table knight and so on, which requires high glory. Others may be more modest and so want to limit the scope of their campaign and thereby want lower glory totals.

Instead of having many hates, simply have one called Xenophobe. Can only use the one Passion in each category (Hate, Love, etc.) so count only the highest, etc.

Don't limit the passions at all, encourage the players to have them all at 16+, and now the players are puppets, slaves to those high passions.

Both methods are viable. I have played in both types and I have enjoyed them. So, my view is give the group the choice and let the decide. Happier players usually mean a happier campaign and one that lasts longer.

Just my two denarii.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
    Actually, in Paladin you do gain passive Glory for all high scores (16+ Stats, Traits, Passions, Attitudes and Skills) whenever they are raised. So a score that goes up from 16 to 17 you get 17 Glory, once (not annually).
    What happens if the trait/whatever lowers to 16 and you raise it to 17 again? Do you again get the 17 Glory? Since I can see this being a pain to keep track of, if you need to worry about if it was already raised to 17 a decade before.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrill_one View Post
    @everyone: I tend to consider "Traits" as general personality characteristics that a knight tends to display toward everyone else. Hence, it's appropriate to have "Directed Traits" that the knight only expresses toward a few individuals or a group.
    Conversely, "Passions" are very strong feeling that are ALREADY restricted to one or a few individuals or circumstances (indicated in parentheses). As such, it is usually more practical (and makes more sense) to simply add a new Passion, which is directed just toward the new group or individual, instead of adding a "Directed Passion". In other words, all Passions are already "Directed".
    Well said. I agree fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Hzark10 View Post
    I consider this area a YPMV area. Some gamemasters (and players) want the campaign to be high glory knights, where the PKs can rub elbows with Galahad, Lancelot, King Arthur, are a Round Table knight and so on, which requires high glory. Others may be more modest and so want to limit the scope of their campaign and thereby want lower glory totals.
    It is not so much the Glory total that gets my goat, but the fact that the PKs can, in principle, rack up loads of Glory risk-free, just by sitting safely at home, doing nothing but skipping time. This is why I rail against Passive Glory: it cheapens the Glory that the PKs actually win by doing heroic deeds.

Don't limit the passions at all, encourage the players to have them all at 16+, and now the players are puppets, slaves to those high passions.
    Sure. Hate (Saxons) can (and has) bitten the PKs in the bum when the smart choice is to negotiate with the Saxons. But lets say after 510*, there is very few reasons for the PKs to negotiate with Saxons, and even before that, a smart liege would never send Hate (Saxons) 18 PKs as diplomats to Wessex Court. Heck, a smart liege would ensure that they are somewhere else when the Saxons come calling for tribute, too!

* Sure, if the PKs are rewarded with Saxon-infested lands after Badon, high Hate (Saxons) gets somewhat interesting again, warring against their Just and Merciful.

Many other Hate -passions can have negligible downsides. Hate (Picts), Hate (Irish), Hate (Franks) and Hate (Continental Romans) all have very few downsides in a game centered on Salisbury/Logres. If you are headed off to Caledonia, chances are that you are going to fight Picts anyway. And so forth.

Same is true for many Loyalty -passions. It is very very rare (never happens in GPC) that Loyalty (Robert) is in conflict with Loyalty (Arthur). And it is quite rare that these are in conflict with Loyalty (Group), since everyone likely shares all three loyalties anyway, and the adventures are often doing the bidding of your liege/king, which you would do anyway, even if your Loyalty would be less than 16. So it is, in practice, free 50+ Glory per year, and they actually help you in achieving your goals thanks to Inspired.

Happier players usually mean a happier campaign and one that lasts longer.
    This one I would definitely agree with, too. Although the GM needs to be happy, too. :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12