Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passions Question

Passions Question

As I've been going over my Pendragon 5.2 edition I noticed something under Passions. In the section on character creation it mentions the five starting passions of Loyalty, Love, Hospitality, Honor, and Hate. This all makes perfect sense.

However, in the Book of Records: Knights, on the form fillable sheet, it lists the passions as Fealty, Homage, Love, Hospitality, Honor, and Hate. I am assuming, since the character sheet is slightly older, this pertains to a slightly differently description of passions?

I just want to make sure my assumption is right because I'd love to use these sheets for my group since it would make creation a little quicker/easier. I would just tell them fealty and homage were simplified into loyalty...is this correct?

Thank you kindly.
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Actually, it is other way around. See Book of the Estate. Loyalty was split to Homage (your primary liege lord) and Fealty (everyone else, possibly even temporary loyalties like your employer if you are acting as a mercenary).

This fix was not made in 5.2 which was primarily just a graphics and layout update of 5.1. However, no harm done if you just stick to Loyalty.

The split of Loyalty into Homage and Fealty is a way to make it easier to track one's bonds and oaths. This leaves the Loyalty passion free to be those bonds of camaraderie and mutual support between friends and members of knightly orders.

Wait, so the current, post 5.1 preference is to have Homage(king), Fealty(lord) and Loyalty(comrades)? I thought Loyalty(lord) represented the direct feudal bond with Homage representing your link to the king and their respect (both ways). No?

--Khanwulf

No. Homage is your primary liege lord so for most default campaigns this would be Count Roderick. Homage Uther applies if you are the King's direct vassal.

Ok, thanks everyone. I am going to add a notation to my Book of Records, Book of Estate, and 5.2 edition. That way if I get a list of cross references I'll make it easier on myself.
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Well I feel educated. Thanks!

So if you're a baron, with a grant from Roderick and Uther (let's say you killed Gorlois) and... say some land from Corneus for some reason. You owe Fealty(Roderick), Fealty(Corneus) and Homage(Uther)--and there is some selection of your liege lord, which in this case will almost certainly be Uther because he's the king and suffers no slight at all.

(It does make more sense for a clean implementation.)

--Khanwulf

Correct. Also, it is possible to be released from Homage so that you can swear that to another person, so in your example, the Knight of Roderick's who does deeds to win lands from King Uther, almost certainly has the shift from Homage (Roderick) to Fealty (Roderick) and Homage (Uther), since that is the way Uther wants it, and who will tell him no?

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    Correct. Also, it is possible to be released from Homage so that you can swear that to another person, so in your example, the Knight of Roderick's who does deeds to win lands from King Uther, almost certainly has the shift from Homage (Roderick) to Fealty (Roderick) and Homage (Uther), since that is the way Uther wants it, and who will tell him no?
    Certainly no one will after Corneus submits and Gorlois is crushed! He just has a few boxes to check and then can call for a vote on High Kingship!

Pity St. Albans....

--Khanwulf

St. Albans is my favorite part of Uther's story. The one where the villain dies. I have great fun coming up with new ways for it to happen in my games.

So far my best work is having a bard lampoon him so that he dies of old age and due to the power Excalibur wields over those sworn to him all of those present are stricken as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast