Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Manorial Calamity and Manorial Benefit Tables and Bandit Groups!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    As for the levy mentioned in the 4th edition. as far as I always understood it it was the King who could summon them to the field in times of war.
    That might be the historical background, but in 4th edition: "A knight with many manors can call upon a large levy!" Given that the whole Army section is written as to tell the player how many men he can call upon in a fight (In Family Knights: "One of the most important factors in the game is how many knights you can potentially call to your side in a crisis."), it would feel very odd from the phrasing and context that Levy would not be callable by the knight, but needs the King's order. I, and many others from the examples and campaign logs I have seen, have taken this to mean that the knight can call up his levy to help. This same section is repeated in 5.x editions, too.

The Feudal Army section (KAP 4, p. 256; KAP 5.2, p. 236) provides some more context:
    "For local defense, the lord probably calls up the local levy as well, a mob of untrained peasants armed with farming tools."

Again, no mention of a king. Lord in this context refers to any landholding noble, vassal knight upwards. The emphasis on defense is why I would not allow the peasant levy to be used for anything else but defensive purposes: they will fight to protect their homes and families, but precious little else.

Re: mastiffs... I wouldn't give an ordinary knight a big pack of mastiffs. Maybe one, and then other chase dogs and hounds. If he is keeping a larger kennel, sure, then more. But it needs to be remembered that these are hunting dogs, not fighting dogs. They would excel more in keeping the bandits at check (snarling, barking pack of dogs is not something you want to get close to, even if the individual dog is not that terrifying) or chasing down runners (something that the knights would not do so well, in a forest terrain).

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post

Re: mastiffs... I wouldn't give an ordinary knight a big pack of mastiffs. Maybe one, and then other chase dogs and hounds. If he is keeping a larger kennel, sure, then more. But it needs to be remembered that these are hunting dogs, not fighting dogs. They would excel more in keeping the bandits at check (snarling, barking pack of dogs is not something you want to get close to, even if the individual dog is not that terrifying) or chasing down runners (something that the knights would not do so well, in a forest terrain).
    I wouldn't let a normal kennel have any mastiffs either, but my players are found of acquiring them so they get a fair bit of spotlight here. The typical kennel is common dogs while a large one bought as an upgrade has 1 special dog per upgrade level. And of course a PK can purchase a mastiff as a pet/companion much as he could an extra horse. It would roll survival like a horse and is not replaced unless the proper kennel size is met.

Yep, I'd be fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    That might be the historical background, but in 4th edition: "A knight with many manors can call upon a large levy!" Given that the whole Army section is written as to tell the player how many men he can call upon in a fight (In Family Knights: "One of the most important factors in the game is how many knights you can potentially call to your side in a crisis."), it would feel very odd from the phrasing and context that Levy would not be callable by the knight, but needs the King's order. I, and many others from the examples and campaign logs I have seen, have taken this to mean that the knight can call up his levy to help. This same section is repeated in 5.x editions, too.

The Feudal Army section (KAP 4, p. 256; KAP 5.2, p. 236) provides some more context:
    "For local defense, the lord probably calls up the local levy as well, a mob of untrained peasants armed with farming tools."

Again, no mention of a king. Lord in this context refers to any landholding noble, vassal knight upwards. The emphasis on defense is why I would not allow the peasant levy to be used for anything else but defensive purposes: they will fight to protect their homes and families, but precious little else.
    True. And I must confes that I also give the knights the option to call upon their levy when the manor is threatened, but I heard that somewhere, no idea where. Of course in the anarchy phase there is no king, so then the landholding knight will be the one to call them to the field.

I would not allow them being used outside their own area as well, although you could rule different. In that case I would suggest that the effectiviness drops the further they are from home. also it will affect the harvest as these men also work the fields (you do take away the strongest and toughest men who would be crucial in the harvest).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12