Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Status of Before Iron?

Or, if we need a "1-word" name, another possibility is "EPOS" which is the name in Greek of the literary genre.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrill_one View Post
    As I see it, the title of this RPG should follow the honored tradition of its predecessors Pendragon and Charlemagne: the name of the most important, (semi-)mythical king of the era (I know Charlemagne is historical, but his persona in the game supposedly is the MYTHICAL Charlemagne).
    I think the most famous regal figures of the mycenaean era in the myths are "Ajax Telamonian", "Atreus", "Agamemnon Atreides", "Odysseus Laertiades", "Aeneas", "Minos".
    So, what title?
    "King Minos of Knossos"? "King Ulysses"? "King Odysseus"? Personally, I am rather favourable to "King Aeneas". "King Priam of Ilion" has a certain solemnity to it...
    That's the problem like Luca pointed out. There is no One Central King in the Greek Heroic Age, unlike in the case of Arthur and Charlemagne. Even Agamemnon is just the first among equals.

Age of Heroes would work but it is a bit vague, which is why I singled out Hecules upon the first place. As for Homer's own words, unfortunately he is so wrapped up in Troy and it's aftermath, which was pretty much the Camlann of the Heroic Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stafford View Post
    I can't say exactly where it is, but we are working to get the backlog in print.
    We don't want to rush the new game setting on top of each other, though, and since we just got Paladins through the KS stage there will be some time yet.
    Understood... Please come out with this though - I really want it! :-)

6D6 Fireball just released a game about Classical Greece called Age Of Legends, FYI.
    M. Schwartz — undead.trout@gmail.com
    ~ Always Something Fishy Going On™ ~

And isn't the Charlemagne book actually titled Paladin now? That obviates the 'famous leader' pattern entirely.
    M. Schwartz — undead.trout@gmail.com
    ~ Always Something Fishy Going On™ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    That's the problem like Luca pointed out. There is no One Central King in the Greek Heroic Age, unlike in the case of Arthur and Charlemagne. Even Agamemnon is just the first among equals.

Age of Heroes would work but it is a bit vague, which is why I singled out Hecules upon the first place. As for Homer's own words, unfortunately he is so wrapped up in Troy and it's aftermath, which was pretty much the Camlann of the Heroic Age.
    I feel that central thing should be to evoke the feeling of Greek EPIC poetry.
    Homer is just the best, but also the other later (Greek or Roman) imitators as late as Vergil'Aeneid of Apollonius Rhodius' Argonautica (or what few fragments survive of other epics) started with an invocation to a Goddess/Muse/Apollo to be inspired.

"Tell me o Muse" or "Sing me o Goddess" is generic enough to evoke many "Greek Heroic" things.
    It's the hallmark of Greek Epic literature.

And it's not just troy.
    Odisseos' travel is the archetype of all heroic RPGs!
    Otherwise a generic "epos" should be good...but maybe it's just me.

Well you could always use GREECE: In The Ages of Gods and Men
    Famous Player sayings "Oy remember to take prisoners" (Pict warrior) "Ok. ... wait does that mean we take the pointy crowned guys?" (Irish warrior) "No you can kill them they're pain to retrain." (Pict) "Aint they worth gold?" (irish) "Yeh that's what you take of em when you kill em." (pict)

Any news on the status of the project?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123