Thread: Trait Checks

Trait Checks

Can someone please explain Trait checks to me in detail? I am a bit confused after re-reading it in the rules. Does the random number from the card get added to your Trait and then compared to the Trait plus whatever number is appropriate for the test? Or is it the random number only vs. the Trait + whatever number to add for the appropriate test?

Quote Originally Posted by daddystabz View Post
    Can someone please explain Trait checks to me in detail? I am a bit confused after re-reading it in the rules. Does the random number from the card get added to your Trait and then compared to the Trait plus whatever number is appropriate for the test? Or is it the random number only vs. the Trait + whatever number to add for the appropriate test?
    I'm not sure how to make this clearer but I'll give it a shot. The TRAIT Check is made against one of the PC or NPC Traits listed on its card.

1. Each Trait has a number rating

2. Trait checks are made against that number rating

3. This number establishes a "range" for the Trait Check.

4. If the number is a 4, the range is 1-4. If the number is an 8, the range is 1-8.

5. Often the Trait will be modified. That modification is made BEFORE the check is made and will either increase or decrease the range.

6. If the number is an 8 and the modifier is +3, then the range is 1-11. If the number is an 8 and the modifier is -3 then the range is 1-5.

7. You obtain a Random Number from a SA Card and apply it to the range. If it falls within the range, the check has succeeded; if it falls outside the range, it has failed.

EXAMPLE:

Your Player Character is in a gunfight and senses that an enemy might be on the balcony of the building that your PC just walked past. He is required to make a Trait Check versus his AWARENESS rating. His AWARENESS rating is a 10. He obtains a RN 1d20 and the result is a 5, which falls within his Awareness "range" of 1-10. The PC has passed the Trait Check and whirls around, spotting the enemy on the balcony.

Same scenario as above but when the PC makes his Awareness Check (1-10), the RN 1d20 is a 13, which falls outside his 1-10 Awareness range, so the Trait Check fails and his enemy will get a shot at his back.

Same scenario as above but some one shouts out a warning to your PC "Watch out behind you!" which adds +5 to your Awareness. Your new Awareness range is temporarily increased by the modifier. Now the range is 1-15 (the original 10 plus the 5 from the warning = 1-15.

I hope that makes the process clearer for you.

Jim Trunzo
    Game Designer

Thank you. That is how I thought it worked. What confused me on a second read-through was how in the book it says the RN is applied to the trait, which made me wonder if it is added for a difficulty number. It wouldn't make sense to me but I wanted to make sure.