Thread: Multi-action penalty: a different idea, which I borrowed.

Multi-action penalty: a different idea, which I borrowed.

I have an idea to mess with one basic mechanic of the game.
    I just don't like the multi-cation penalty as it is. I like to kind of plan on the fly, as a player, so deciding several actions in a round just kind of stops me in my creative flow and pulls me out of immersion. Another game I read does it a bit differently. Instead of planning all moves out first, the player makes his first action at no penalty, and then may add on actions at a cumulative penalty till it becomes too risky to continue due to the possibility of a one on the last die left on the table making it a critical fumble. I am not sure whether making it one die per extra action or making it two per would make it work better.

Good idea? Awful idea?

The problem I have encountered is that once a player rolls their first action, it is hard to go back and add actions later. Figuring out a fair way to remove a die from the first roll can be problematic. Do you remove the highest roll? So if someone rolls a 6, 1,1,1, and a 2 on the wild die, then he successful action fails if they do a second action? What if they decide that is worth the cost? How do you judge it. For example, lets say they do damage, killing a monster. The other players scramble away to deal with the BBEG, who does something horrific. So the first player decides to do a second action. Does that monster come back to life? What about the other players actions which assumed that creature is dead? Do they ahve to redo their actions as well? That is asking for a DM nightmare to keep track of and can irritate other players.

I do individual initiatives with reactionary actions, which I find solves most of the problems with multi-action. Each player's actions go from their turn to the start of their next turn. So They can say "I am taking three actions- one attack, one melee parry, and a reactionary action." That makes them -2D to all actions, which can be rolled and judged. Their reactionary action has to be taken before the start of their next turn, or it is lost. My players most often use it for either movement or a second attack. I did have to make a judgement call on spells, restricting them to spells with a casting time of 1.5 seconds or less as a reactionary action.

Administrator
    I think the OP is suggesting that the initial action carries no penalty, so there would not be any backtracking to remove a D. Future actions would then have a growing penalty, which in this case would probably have to be -2D per action that is not announced in advance and is adding on-the-fly.

Yes, just so.
    First action, no penalty; second action, -2 dice; third action, -4 dice; ... ; sixth action -10 dice.
    Could be really interesting if later actions have either insignificant results or no die roll at all. There would have to be a limit such as only one of each action, or only as many shots in a round as the rate of fire.

Ducking back into cover if less than a couple yards away aught always to be a free action.

The OP is more in keeping with reactions from SW D6 1st and 2nd ed. In practice this works fine with the last iteration of WEG's D6. Having to decide to hold one action to dodge, another two to parry, and then other actions gets very problematic. Some of the simplicity of original D6 would be welcome in future D6 products.

The D6 Fantasy/Space/Adventure system requires more early commitment and planning and as you pointed out, the first action is penalized by 1D and each successive action gets harder. I believe increasing the penalty to -2D per action is very stiff and would preclude players from taking more than one action in a round.

The real issue is when players try to take non-rolled actions at the end of the round, in effect trying to get freebie reloads or ducking behind cover/dropping prone. These attempts to cheat the system are a problem so GMs should stick to their guns and impose reasonable limits and restrictions to keep conniving players in check. Reloading a weapon should consume a round as should swapping weapons. A lot of goofy gunplay can happen unless the GM sets some limits so instead of a player with pistols at 7D dropping a Fate Point for 14 D executing 6 attacks the player in question is limited to the gunplay maneuvers as presented in the rules. This speeds up play and reigns in goofy behavior such as pistols firing 8 rounds in only a few seconds or slow rifles/shotguns doing likewise with a freebie reload in between.

Sequencing actions in D6 ha always been challenging but a little common sense and GM understanding of the rules will keep things flowing in a fun direction.

This is my first post.

>>ReaperWolf

It sounds similar to the Talislanta/Omni System multi-action penalty. First action is a normal roll, then each action after starts adding a cumulative die roll penalty--In Talislanta's classic rules the second action is at a -5, third at a -10, ... As long as you don't fail you can keep going on but once you fail, you cannot continue which could get messy in places. It does serve to ensure that your PC's have to have sufficient skills to pull it off and the penalty is steep enough to discourage abuse.

I look forward to possibly exploring the D6 system as an alternative ruleset for Talislanta: The Savage Land when the PDFs start shipping. One of the versions I am waiting for is built on D6 Fantasy.
    Last edited by SmokinDeist; 08-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.